Re: Independent students

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Dec 09 2002 - 20:27:40 PST

I have had similiar situations. What I did was to give the students a list
of required projects, depending upon the student. For instance, I might
assign 15 sketchbook drawings, 1 acrylic painting, 3 charcoal drawings, and
1 watercolor painting for a 9 week period. Plus, I ONLY accept students who
have proven to be motivated in my classes before. I discuss what the student
wants to study (medium) then come up with a plan. I try to give them several
exploratory mediums plus the one they favor. It's tough to teach the extra
students - KUDOS to you for taking them.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

> Now I am feeling like a couple of them are adrift (no surprise!) and I
> wondered if anyone else had a suggestion of some type of accountability,
self
> assess, or other way they have handled independent students. I think they
> need some kind of goal, but the idea of writing 6 individualized ones is
> daunting...perhaps someone has an advanced art rubric that is more
generic??

---