Re: drying clay projects in the kiln

---------

From: linda (lindwood_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Dec 09 2002 - 18:16:10 PST

Here is what I do to speed dry my clay..

Day one...just leave it uncovered for one day.
Day two...Put a fan on the work and let it dry out more. If I am firing
another load that is already dry, I put two day dry pieces on top of the
kiln as it fires. I can always fire kids work by the end of the 3rd day.

They're right...drying inside your kiln can rust the pieces.

ALso, if the pieces are THICK, I take a longer time drying tham, as they
can crack. If you put the fan on them, make sure the air all around them
is circulating, not just hitting one side, or turn them periodically.

---