Re: drying clay projects in the kiln

---------

From: Debbie Stone (dstone_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Dec 09 2002 - 13:24:17 PST

I do it all the time. Close all the peep holes. Load pieces into the kiln well away from the elements. If possible put a shelf above the first element so that the heat source will be under the pieces. Then turn the lowest element on low. Only the very bottom element as you want it to be a gradual low heat. Open the top of the kiln about one inch. I Leave the kiln on until it is very warm inside. Then I turn it off for about 1 hour and repeat with heat for a couple hours then 1 hour off. Always leave the top open that one inch and the peep holes closed. Once everything looks dry I just leave the one element on low. I start at about 7:30 am and turn the kiln off beteen 3:30 and 4:00. The next morning I check for coolness/dampness. If I question it I'll leave the kiln on for another day on low.(just the bottom element) Off course this all depends on just how wet the pieces were to start and how full the kiln was...deb

>>> Jeannie Sandoval <jensando@yahoo.com> 12/09/02 02:52PM >>>
Hi everyone,
Have a question that I know you can answer. How can
you dry fresh projects in the kiln? I am close to the
end of the grading period and they pieces are
leatherhard. I know it will take days to dry out but
with the weather here (rather humid) I think it will
take longer. In college they (the art aides) dried
leatherhard pieces in the kiln and I don't know what
type of setting to put my kiln on to achieve this
'quick' dry. I don't want to blow anything up. :)I
have a Skutt automatic kiln.
Can you help me?
jeannie in georgia