Re: using student examples

---------

From: Joe Applebaum (Joe.Applebaum_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Dec 09 2002 - 11:43:16 PST

I use slides of past students' work for almost every lesson I teach. In
photo, graphic design and drawing classes it shows the students what
levels of achievement I expect from them. I believe that it helps them
achieve more because they realize if other students could do such good
work, they can also. In my photo classes I use 45 - 80 student slides
each assignment. I have seldom seen students try and shoot the same thing
(and I look at some 40,000 images on proof sheets per year) The only
image I see consistently from some of my photo I students is of a bridge,
train tracks and river and I never show that image because so many of them
find it on their own. When I create a new lesson, I will try and find
some photographers who have images that would fit, but the kids are
somewhat disappointed that I have no student work to show them. I do the
same with drawing or graphic design. I can't imagine introducing a lesson
without first showing them something.

---