Re: Divide 5th grade girls and boys? Separate classes?

---------

lina_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Dec 08 2002 - 16:44:19 PST

You can buy drywall at the local hardware or get a parent to donate it.
I score it with an exacto to the size I want (6-8" by 10-12") then snap
it in two. I glued each piece on to a piece of cardboard to give it
support. The students use sponges to soak one of the paper sides and
peel off the paper. This takes some at least 2, fifty minutes classes.
They have to be careful because it can break. (I recommend you do this
project before you let them do it so you can anticipate the problems.
Next, I have them draw on a piece of paper what they plan to carve so I
can approve it before they start. When they are ready, they draw with
pencil on their drywall, then begin carving using a paper clip of nail.
I have them leave a half inch border around their design so it is
stronger.

When they are finished carving, we paint the boards with gold tempera
and then wipe it off to get a stone look. You could paint it any way you
want. I coated each piece with clear acrylic at the end.

If you would like, I'll send you some of the examples I used to show the
kids what you can do.

One note of caution. When the kids are carving, they need to keep their
faces up away from the board to prevent tiny pieces from flying in their
eyes. Protective eye wear would be the best, but . . . .

Lin

On Saturday, December 7, 2002, at 09:17 PM, brenda robson wrote:

> Lin,
> I wondered about drywall. COuld you walk me through it?
> Brenda
>
> ---
> artsednet-9265G@lists.getty.edu

---