Re: using student examples

---------

From: carolyn roberts (croberts18_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Dec 08 2002 - 15:49:36 PST

Re: using student examplesThis is a good discussion topic......

I have read Marvin's page and I also like for my students to draw from memory, experience, imagination, observation, etc.

First of all, I teach high school and most of my students want to draw realistically...and not all of my students are that capable of drawing that well...even though they LOVE to draw and want to improve their drawing skills. I feel that elementary children probably have less problems drawing from memory or imagination.

If I give an open-ended assignment for a painting or drawing of their choice, then I do not have to use student examples. I do like to show work from various well-known artists to inspire and motivate my students to begin work.

However, if my students want to draw something specific...say, animals and when they draw their animals from imagination or memory...and they are upset because their drawing is not what they want it to look like...and they want to learn to DRAW the animal better and they can SEE that their work is not in correct proportion or maybe it doesn't look like what they are attempting to draw and they know it and they get discouraged ...and we have no zoos anywhere in driving distance...but they WANT to learn to draw these animals...then what do we do?

Do I deprive them of looking at pictures of animals or insist that their drawing is fine even though it is not what they are trying to achieve.

How do you solve a problem like this...

Marvin, are you out there?
Carolyn

  I wrote something this afternoon about exemplars but it has yet to show up.. I much appreciate Woody's comments and B.J's site reference.

  Marvin Bartel, who is a a frequent contributor to this list has some interesting insight.

  see his essay Nine Classroom
  Creativity Killers
  http://www.goshen.edu/art/ed/creativitykillers.html

  Patty ---