Re: using student examples

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Dec 08 2002 - 14:04:44 PST

Sky said:

> "Sooooooooo...because of all this, I can't understand why someone would say
> they never use former student artwork as examples."

I avoid using student work as examples, but I often do. It depends upon
the lesson and if I think it will help in understanding the problem posed.
I of course stress that I want theirs to be different and only showed
an example because I thought it would be easier to see what direction
we are headed in.

What I most strongly object to is the district expecting me to include
student examples in each lesson. That is for my professional judgment
as an experienced art teacher. And I strongly object to is the district
referring to student examples as "exemplars". I try to always use what
I was trained to call an exemplar in every lesson. I'm trying to educate
the powers that be in our district. Perhaps I'm being too picky on the
terminology.
                                        Woody in KC

--
28 Quality Middle School Art Lessons