Graphic organizers for writing

---------

From: carolyn roberts (croberts18_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Dec 08 2002 - 11:47:58 PST

You are absolutely correct when you say that "graphic organizers" help
students remember details. I have done this and it is a great idea! When I
was in school (many years ago), we did this and we didn't even know they
were called "graphic organizers"!

One I remember doing in the 8th grade...was an octopus. I drew it out...and
in the center I put the title or main idea...and then in all the legs, I had
all of the information broken down.

I did one recently by drawing a HUGE palette with blobs for paint colors.
This gave me lots of room to write the P & E with info.

Here's a good site...
http://www.eduplace.com/graphicorganizer/

Carolyn Roberts

> We are a Chapter 1 school and our reading scores were down. Since this
> directly ties in with state funding we were all mandated (elementary
level)
> to include reading and writing in our curriculums. When I asked about
> funding to purchase printed sources to read in my art class I was asked if
> we ever critique an artwork. I was informed that this is a viable form of
> "reading", but what I needed to do was document what we did. So, I now
have
> my students fill out graphic organizers whenever we discuss an artwork. It
> really has helped my students to remember details about the artists and
> their works. Do a google search for graphic organizers and you can find
> several varieties for any need you may have.
> ~Michal

---