Re: writing & art (long)

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Dec 08 2002 - 11:41:21 PST

We are a Chapter 1 school and our reading scores were down. Since this
directly ties in with state funding we were all mandated (elementary level)
to include reading and writing in our curriculums. When I asked about
funding to purchase printed sources to read in my art class I was asked if
we ever critique an artwork. I was informed that this is a viable form of
"reading", but what I needed to do was document what we did. So, I now have
my students fill out graphic organizers whenever we discuss an artwork. It
really has helped my students to remember details about the artists and
their works. Do a google search for graphic organizers and you can find
several varieties for any need you may have.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

---