Re: using student examples

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Dec 08 2002 - 11:25:14 PST

I had a student leave an AWFUL ceramic project behind several years back. It
was a coil cup with a handle, and it is a perfect example of what NOT to do.
I show this cup every year as an example of what will happen if students
don't follow directions - mainly in the craftsmanship department. I think it
helps students to see a poor example as well as explainations as to why it
is bad. Then they know what to avoid. If a student starts hurrying I can
gently remind them not to make a pink cup project! :-)
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

> > You have to remember that not all students are "innovators" and probably
> > more are "ecclectic", borrowing ideas from others...and this is not bad.
> > Many of the students are "visual" and must see something before they
> > understand the full meaning of what is expected. I show the examples
and
> > encourage my students to be very creative and come up with ideas of
their
> > own...possibly building on the ones that I have shown.
> >
> > This is also a way that many great artists have worked in the past.
> >
> > Do not be afraid to show other students work.
> > I use my own examples, plus examples from previous classes or previous
> > years.> Carolyn

---