Re: writing & art

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Dec 08 2002 - 10:03:45 PST

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
 Danville, CA 94526
From: BluesTruth@aol.com
Can we start a thread on the connection between art & writing? I find
myself
constantly asking teachers to provide written work so we can collaborate.
Some of our classroom teachers are not as enthusiastic as I am about this
idea. Perhaps I am not getting my point across. Can anyone help? Has
anyone been in the same situation? Thanks! Bluestruth ---
Hi. I came across a similar situation of sharing writings/art experiences
with core teachers in middle school. Although we do small doses of writing
in art class, I wanted a "shared" experience with another teacher. I found
one really enthusiastic teacher ready to open up her curriculum but the
resistance I encountered with others really had nothing to do with me OR the
idea. It is the fact that their hands are tied and the curriculum
"set"...like "fall writes" and "spring writes" and quotas of literature
"writes" and social study "writes" all leading to the State/National spring
testings.

I solved my problem by delving into their curriculum format to see what
areas they cover. Islam in social studies became my "Islamic Tiles" lesson.
Medieval times, "rose" windows, "early man", weaving, etc. Several of our
art pieces become examples placed in the core classrooms to integrate across
curriculums.

What I'm trying to say in a nutshell is maybe the un-enthusiasm is because
of the stringent demands placed on core teachers. Maybe YOU have to see
where YOU can fit into their world if collaborating is important to you.
Toodles.....Bunki

---