Re: writing & art & literacy

---------

From: LEO DAVINCE (ytsirk_uno_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Dec 08 2002 - 07:51:57 PST

Your question is a good one. Connecting writing to art
does make a lot of sense. "A picture is worth a
thousand words" so why not write about them. I think
the more meaning teachers can give to writing about
Art somehow helps justify the importance of this
subject in the curriculum. There has to be a happy
sharing ground so that art knowledge and skills are
not entirely ignored.
 Our school district's focus this year is literacy in
all subject areas and I too am looking for ways to
encorpate this into my teaching.
Here is one to add to the thread: Use a reproduction
of a painting ( I use Renoir a lot) and have students
in groups each come up with a word (first impressions)
about the painting. i.e. serene, friendly, picnic,
summer. Now have them create a simple poem that
include this words. With several groups each viewing
a different painting, the words generated can be
placed on chart and have the rest of the class match
up the words with each painting.