Re: writing & art (long)

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Dec 08 2002 - 07:43:19 PST

Where I teach, it is a district wide goal to teach literacy strategies
across the curriculum, however, I have not yet been required to do so. I
teach elementary art. Here are some of the things I am doing to include
reading and writing in my curriculum. First, I make sure that the
activities directly support the visual art concepts I am teaching because I
feel the 45 minutes a week that I see students is valuable, and it's the
only time students get to really learn about art. I have been attending
grade level meetings to learn strategies that are being encouraged in the
regular classrooms to get students ready to perform well on our Pennsylvania
State Student Assessment tests. I am also attending meetings to learn
strategies to improve literacy in the content areas. Letting teachers and
administrators know that you are willing and able to do this will encourage
them to support your program goals. In second grade we are writing and
illustrating a personal story. I am collaborating with the computer teacher
so that the text can be printed more professionally in the book. I also
have plans for the students to read the books to an audience (not sure who,
yet). Before beginning our papier mache masks, I had third graders read an
article about masks and then fill out a chart which we used to aid in
discussion. The chart had one column for "What I know" (filled out before
reading), "What I would like to know," and "What I learned." Also in third
grade I collaborated with classroom teachers and the computer teacher with a
patriotic design projects. The students wrote patriotic cinquains in
language arts, they word processed the poems in computer class, and we
created patriotic designs which were mounted with the poems for display.
Fourth graders created a collage using images from magazines that
illustrated or symbolized what being an American means to them. After the
creation of the collage, students wrote why they chose the images they chose
for their collage. Fifth graders created a word web using the vocabulary
they would need to create the traditional parts of a coat of arms. They
also read introductory passages about coats of arms and wrote what they felt
was important, what they would still like to know, and what ideas they had
for using this information in art projects. Each student in grades 3, 4,
and 5 created a sketchbook in which they are encouraged to draw AND write,
we will complete some reflective writing in the books. Writing in art class
does take time away from the production of art. However, if done correctly
(and I'm just beginning to work on this) I feel it can enrich the learning
that takes place.

Leah