Re: classroom observation

---------

From: carolyn roberts (croberts18_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Dec 08 2002 - 06:06:22 PST

> > Beth asked What are art exemplars?

Not only do I use art reproductions as examples in presenting a lesson...but
our local university encourages and requests that student teachers create
three different examples of the lessons they are presenting...and also
discuss other ways that the students could possibly do the work.

You have to remember that not all students are "innovators" and probably
more are "ecclectic", borrowing ideas from others...and this is not bad.
Many of the students are "visual" and must see something before they
understand the full meaning of what is expected. I show the examples and
encourage my students to be very creative and come up with ideas of their
own...possibly building on the ones that I have shown.

This is also a way that many great artists have worked in the past.

Do not be afraid to show other students work.
I use my own examples, plus examples from previous classes or previous
years.
Carolyn

---