Re: classroom observation

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Dec 08 2002 - 05:49:17 PST

> Beth asked What are art exemplars?

My district wants me to include exemplars I use with my lessons. By that they
mean "examples of student work". I seldom use examples of other students
art when introducing a lesson. I don't want students to copy ideas done
in
previous years. I want to foster creativity and innovation. I have tried
to explain
to the school district that the term "exemplar" is special to me as a
art educator.
I have always tried to teach my lessons
around "exemplars" (reproductions of important art images) and that term
is important in my teaching. I hate to see the meaning of the term
diluted by
it's use to mean a good example done by a student.

We seem to be diluting the english language in schools today. It's not
just the
term exemplar, but also I've heard teachers say 123 order and ABC order rather
than numerical or alphabetical order (to adults as well). The software
with my
printer does not use vertical or horizontal, rather it uses portrait and landscape
instead. I know language evolves over time, but I find this is just laziness.

                                                                        Woody in KC

--
28 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
in powerpoint format, on one CD $15