Re: Stinko'thology....

---------

From: Judie (judiej50_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Dec 08 2002 - 02:53:05 PST

Larry, I had a class like that last year--unfortunately most of the AP
students I had gone out on a limb and recommended because I thought they
would come through with a work ethic that I had witnessed in them in the
prior two years.

Boy was I in for a shocking surprise!!!!! Most of them seniors seemed to
"bond" together and just plain refuse to do the work. The more I put the
AP criteria in front of them, the more they resisted, so I had no choice
but to give them the grades they were "earning", after which there was a
mass march to the counselor's office to "drop" the course. The
administration and I came up with the solution that it was too late to drop
without taking an "F", and they could choose to not do the work that was
required for an AP portfolio and not get AP credit, but the highest grade
they could get would be 79--you have to have an 80 to get AP credit. It
seemed to work for a while, but off and on they continued to whine, resist,
be disrespectful in some cases and were just plain "not very pleasant to
work with".

This year's group is like a breath of fresh air. Their work ethic and
attitude is much better, and I'm much more at ease.

It does concern me that so many young people just don't want to push
themselves and achieve goals they set out for themselves. Has our
generation just made it too easy for them? I'm sure there are many
answers--but it is bewildering at times.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Judie

>Interesting with my present junior class...is that they are whiners, for
>one....and look to collectively settle into mediocre stinkin thinkin. I
>have been observing this group mentality or mob dynamic. If one student
>says, "I suck at painting...my painting stinks!" and a nearby student agrees
>and says the same, they connect a bond. Then another points out they suck,
>and still another....until evidently "stinkothelogically" speaking they give
>themselves permission to put forth very little effort.

---