: Re: Stinko'thology....

---------

From: Alix Peshette (apeshet_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Dec 07 2002 - 10:39:35 PST

 Hi Larry,
 Many thanks for your insightful comments about groups of students and their
 'collective' mentality. I've had the same experiences with groups.

 When I taught 7th grade art and social studies, I had a dozy of a group one
 year. They were terrors-on-wheels for the whole year. The rest of the
 teachers thought that we 7th grade core teachers just couldn't "handle"
 them. We kept explaining about the unique group mentality and suggested
 that this group be broken up in the following years. Unfortunately, de
 facto tracking kept this group together for the next two years.

 This group went through the rest of junior high being the same
 scourges-of-the-campus. NOTHING seemed to change this group's behavior.
On
 the up side, at least the 8th and 9th grade teachers had a chance to
 experience this group up close and personal! This changed their tune about
 the 7th grade teachers' 'failure' with this group!

 I just hope this bunch of kids doesn't burn down the high school!!

 -Alix Peshette

K-12
> > population of 300 students, it has taken awhile for me to see this
> > "personality" that other staff members here have talked about with
> > particular classes. Kids that are nearing graduation that have gone to
> > school together since earliest ages. For example the sophomores which
> would
> > number about 28...were in sixth grade together, third, and will be as
> > juniors etc;
> >
> > I would hear teachers warn, "o'boy, wait 'till you get those 7th
graders!"

---