Re: classroom observation

---------

From: The Violas (NVIOLA_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Dec 07 2002 - 07:32:47 PST

Beth asked What are art exemplars?

Being a methods student, let me tell you. Under the philosophy of DBAE,
there is a historical strand. It is extremely important that art not be
taught in a vacuum. If you are doing a lesson on pottery, your exemplarssss
could be any number of potteries, depending on your approach. Ancient
Eygypt, native american, Ming dynasty, anything. the point is is that there
are references and examples of art that has gone befor that you need to
introduce in the classroom. You probably are already doing it, you just
didn't recognize the latest lingo.

Art is a reflection of people and society, and in order to produce rich
meaningful art it should make references to or be informed by what has gone
before.

The classes now are really pushing us to be informed about contemorary art.
I confess to being a little weak in that area, but have made tremendous
efforts of late to rectify that. the lessons and units I am putting together
now ALL are laden with 'exemplars.' As art teachers, and artists, I would
think that it is in our best interest to go to galleries and openings, to
talk to artists in our community. To continue to deveope and change. I hope
that helps.

nancy v.