Re: classroom observation

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Dec 06 2002 - 19:53:51 PST

Aust ArtClasses wrote:

> Hello guys. Holidays are upon us and wish each of you a Happy
> one. If you were to list for someone outside of the visual arts
> area what should be taking place in art classes, what would you
> put on your list.

Active engagement is important, but also
a good level of intensity or involvement in the activity
and a sense of enjoyment in the act of creation.

I would ask the observer to look for the interaction between the
teacher and the students and between students.

Are there art exemplars visible ? Is there evidence that the students
are gaining information about artists, cultures, and art history rather than
just making things ?

Is problem solving and creative thinking taking place rather than the
students simply following preset procedures ? Are the students being adequately
challenged to a high enough level rather than doing simple easy lessons ?

Is their work being displayed around the classroom and the school ?

Is the environment stimulating to the senses ?

This is an important topic and I look forward to reading the responses.
                                                        Woody in KC

--
28 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
in powerpoint format, on one CD $15