Re: Divide 5th grade girls and boys? Separate classes?

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Dec 06 2002 - 06:18:29 PST

Have you tried seating arrangements? Putting the leaders of the pack up
front right next to you, calling them out individually, etc. Ask the
classroom teacher how he/she deals with them. I don't think I'd approach my
administrator about splitting them and teaching them differently. Seems my
administrators view good discipline as having a quiet classroom. (Yeah, like
that's ever gonna happen when you're elbow deep in clay! *L*) Try some
topics that really interest them - I have my 5th graders studying Africa
right now. Native American projects have a high interest level for them as
well. They like weaving and printmaking. I hold these over their heads - "If
you think I'm going to get out the printing ink with the way you're acting
you better think again." My 5th grade is energetic and talkative and I can't
let down my guard for a moment. But, if I keep their interest then I can
keep their focus. Phone calls to parents helps as well. Good luck!
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

> I am having 2 challenging 5th grade classes.
> There are quite a few "all boy" boys with high activity needs (my son
> included) and the other half are girls who are not getting the art lessons
> I want to teach because I am always dealing with discipline.
> I hate to be chauvinistic but I am really considering consolidating the
> boys from both classes and teaching them separately.
> Can anyone think of some really good boy lessons?
> Does anyone have any reasons why this would not work or disagree with the
> idea?
> I wanted to bounce it off of my "advisory board"-YOU GUYS- before
> approaching my principal. I think she'll be ok with it.
> Brenda

---