Re: Painted Basketball?

---------

From: Mark Alexander (markcalexander_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Dec 06 2002 - 04:46:57 PST

I painted an old leather basketball white for use in an all white still life. I used BIN, a pigmented shelac. This works fine for the still life, but the paint cracks when it is stretched and flexed by bouncing the ball. Obviously, this would not do for a basketball intended to be dribbled. I suggest you try leather dyes, instead of paint. Dyes would absorb into the ball rather than lay in top of it in a film, as paint does, and cracking would then not be a problem. I did a simple Google search and found Angelus Leather Dyes. They may work, but I've never actually used them and don't know about toxicity issues. Check them out at: http://www.angelfire.com/sc/turtlefeathergourds/angelus.html
Good luck, Mark
Lesley Glendenning <glendenning@stargate.net> wrote: I've been posed the challenge of painting a practice ball for the girls'
team. What type of paint would work on an old leather ball? I'm sure it
will need a sealer of some type. I'm clueless though. Any help is
appreciated!

Lesley