Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: winter theme k-5

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Dec 05 2002 - 07:17:02 PST

My students always want to make snowmen because students think the snowmen
are easy to make. So, in third grade, I teach students to shade the snowmen
to make them look 3-D. Instead of just using gray, we learn to mix the
grays using complementary colors of watercolor. Next we give the snow
person a personality by adding clothing and props, but it doesn't have to be
logical. For example, we might give the snow person a bikini and a glass of
lemonade. Then we paint a separate background (after we talk about
perspective and creating depth). Finally, we cut out the snowman, attach
paper tabs to the back, and glue him/her to the foreground of the background
paper so the snow person pops out. In the end, the students have learned a
lot and have discovered making a snowman is not as easy as they think! Oh,
and the results are nice.