croberts18_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Thu Dec 05 2002 - 06:23:03 PST

Creating art makes you smart!

Marcia,
I made up a schedule. There was a day to prep and wedge the clay(they needed at least two balls of clay to throw, in case they messed up at first the could just take it off and quickly put another one on without having to wedge it up.
They rotated days on the wheel and days prepping clay. Prepping clay could also include cleaning tools and area. Any way  you look at it it is a mess. Having another project (Handbuilt?) to work on helps. I even scheduled the ones who had already thrown to be helpers to students on the wheel.
I had to teach a regular class of 30 students so could not always be on top of them.
They need extra time to clean up.
Reclaiming clay was also a good activity for time not on the wheel. There is a need to have things, specific, for them to do.
Hope this helps...email me if you have any questions
Sue