International Art Exchange

---------

From: linda (lindwood_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 20:53:16 PST

Several years ago I sent out a letter to parents asking if they had
connections in other countries...schools we could link up with to exchange
art with. Boy did I get responses! All of my kids created a piece of
artwork to exchange and we divided them up in groups of 20 with various
ages represented. We exchanged art with THIRTEEN different countries
that year. It was SO much work getting everything packaged and mailed.
The most amazing thing was that we received art from Switzerland, Chile,
Russia, Japan, China, India, England, Canada, Mexico, The Phillipines,
Finland and Yugoslavia. It was so much fun to receive those packages and
see what they all sent. I can't begin to describe how incredibly detailed
and special the art from Taiwan and Japan was...WOW. We received
woodcuts from Japan and tempera paintings of Chinese festivals from
Taiwan. The Russian students sent us a lot of paintings of people in
various folk costumes, often illustrating various tales. We left the
subjects open to the schools to choose. We were glad we did, as each
school had their own theme or approach to what they sent. We sent
pictures illustrating what kids do for fun here, holidays, vacation spots,
sports, portraits, landmarks in the US, Wishes for peace or friendship,
etc. I remember how relieved I always was to get a package finally in the
mail. Parents helped. It was expensive. The kids enjoyed doing this.
Maybe some day I'll try it again.

Linda in Houston

---