Re: another Q..... pottery wheel

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 13:48:16 PST

I have two potters wheels and 24 students. What I do is to allow 4 students
on per day (90 minute class). When all 24 students have had the opportunity
to try the wheel (I don't make it mandatory - some of my students dislike
clay and have no desire to try the wheel. I don't make them since I have so
many who want to) then I open it up and allow them to sign up for a first
come, first serve basis. Clean up? Well, each student cleans completely up
after they are through. Large sheets of paper hung on the wall keeps that
clean - just take it down and throw away when you're finished with the
wheels. Let them know that the wheel is a huge privelege and can be taken
away from those who can't handle it. Give them time warnings - "you have 5
minutes until you need to stop working and begin cleaning up". Give extra
time at the beginning while they learn HOW to clean up, then they can have
longer work time later. Be extremely firm on clean up or you'll be staying
after school doing it yourself. :-)
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

>Hey guys, Thanks for the colored pencil advice. Now here's another
question. I have two pottery wheels in my room and the kids have been
BEGGING to use them. Last year, I taught some kids how to use the pottery
wheel after school for art club and it was a HUGE mess. There was clay all
over the floor and everywhere. I want to try teaching it to my advanced art
class this year and need some advice. Any tips on keeping the room clean?
How have you organized using 2 wheels with 15 students? How much time would
you give the students to use the pottery wheels? Any other tips would be
appreciated for a new teacher! Thanks, Marcia

---