Re: Picasso Lesson

---------

From: linda eastman (lindacharlie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Dec 03 2002 - 04:43:02 PST

Holly, this is one my kids love so i do it every year. the older kids all
tell me they still have theirs when the see the new batch hanging up in the
hall.

i read them mike venezia's picasso book and we especially look at the way
picasso painted his portraits with both the front and profile view in the
same picture.
then we make crazy picasso portraits. it's pretty much a step-by-step but w/
lots of options to make each one unique.
use 12"x18 white paper and pencils and stress making shapes (as opposed to
lines). first draw a large oval. then draw a profile all the way down the
middle of the oval. this will form 2 large shapes. i show them a frontal
eye and a profile eye - make them BIG, and not symmetrical. nostrils; lips
(front and profile). add interesting eyebrow shapes and shapes for cheeks if
there is room. ears, a hand if they want, big hair shapes, a hat if they
want, neck and shoulders. then we draw lines to break up the large
background space into smaller shapes.
after this is done, they go over all their pencil lines with fat black
markers. then color in crazy colors with crayon - stress coloring very heavy
solid colors, each shape a different color. they always turn out wonderful

another thing i've done is to discuss picasso's blue and rose periods which
the venezia book touches on. and we talk about his painting The Tragedy (i
think - the one with the mom/dad/child standing on the cold blue shore
barefoot and homeless) and we talk about how picasso used blue to show the
sadness, etc. then we make monochromatic paintings with tints and shades of
blue or rose showing a feeling.

after picasso, we do matisse and i read them "When Pigcasso Met Mootisse."
which they love also.

hope this helps you.
linda in michigan