Playdough recipe (was: Decreasing Enrollment)

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Dec 03 2002 - 15:52:07 PST

This is the best I've tried; stays soft, doesn't crack, takes paint
well.

1 box baking soda
1 cup cornstarch
Combine these in a saucepan.
Add 1 1/4 cups water.
        Stir constantly over medium heat. It will suddenly start to thicken;
when it looks like wet mashed potatoes (with a slight glisten), dump
onto a plate and cover with a damp cloth 'til cool
        Knead until smooth. Store in plastic in the fridge. Keeps pretty
well, a week or so. Just reknead each time as the cold makes it stiff.
        Dry the shaped objects overnight or longer, depending on how thick they
are, and then bake in a 250-degree over for 15 minutes. If not hard,
bake a little longer.
        The dough can be tinted with food coloring as you're making it, or you
can tint small chunks of it. The colors will be rather pastel. I had
my students paint the baked items with Jazz Gloss tempera. They came
out great.

Maggie

Kimberly Herbert wrote:

> I'm looking for the recipe for slime or playdough. Does anyone have it?

---