Art Schools

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Dec 03 2002 - 13:23:14 PST

Recently somebody asked about Universities with good art programs. I hear
great things about Alfred and University of Washington.

It seems rather common, among high school students, not to be able to commit
to any kind of program, let alone art. The financial risk is too high if you
make a mistake.

But, if you have a student that seems destined for art, I urge going to an
art school. Imagine a place where everybody is creative, everybody has those
juices going. Art school is expensive and HARD. But, I would never trade
my art school experience.

Today an admissions counselor from Maryland Institute College of Art visited
my class. What a great school. And what facilities. They are right now
building the most incredible facility for housing the electronic arts. The
building actually "leans" over a street. I know fancy exteriors do not a
school make, but Maryland is very much in the cutting edge category. I push
my best students to look at RISD and Maryland.
(BTW Maryland is number 1 in the country for painting)

http://www.mica.edu/index.cfm

Patty

---