RE: Picasso Lesson

---------

From: Kathy Tickner (ktickner_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Dec 03 2002 - 10:25:08 PST

Holly,
This is one that I do frequently:

Picasso's Three Musicians

supplies: provide them with a variety of pre-cut shapes (I use a
die-cutter) (sometimes, in the past I have even, provided them with colored
construction paper with the shapes printed on them, and then the kids cut
them out themselves, good for the small motorskill development) (you will
need scissors if you choose to do it this way)
glue or glue sticks
9 x 12 in. colored const. paper to glue their picture on.

DISCUSSION:
1. brief history/autobiography on Picasso, include Spain references
2. discuss the shapes the kids see, have them pick out the shapes with a
pointer
3. discuss the instruments (I have even held up a keyboard, a guitar, and a
clarinet) and ask them to identify (especially the difference between a
flute and a clarinet, because most times they will say it is a "flute")
4. Ask them what they see "under the table" (hopefully them will see a
dog's body) (on the wall is a dog's shadow)
5. Ask them to identify who has the "beard?"
6. Ask them who has the "mustache"
7. Ask them to identify the "floor" versus "the walls"
Ask them what else they see.

Lesson:
Have kids make their own pictures of people with instruments using their
shapes. I have also, asked them to just make people "doing something". If
you mount them on Brown Paper, they look sort of like the brown background
of the picture.

---