RE: winter theme k-5

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Dec 03 2002 - 05:01:39 PST

Last year with my K-1 I did a watercolor special effect/space painting...

Drew with crayon simple elements (fence row and trees) to indicate
foreground, midground and background - overlapping, size change etc....

        used white and light blue crayons to 'draw' snow... watercolor wash
over ground -

        in sky... we eye-droppered(!) liquid watercolor on wet paper, blue,
turquoise and purple... and sprinkled with salt...

Right now trying to think of a reverse painting thing using overhead roll
stuff (aka acetate)... to build up snow flakes to overlay on a scene -

Gotta press - or a slab roller? Create snowflake armatures - wire,
cardboard - we cut them out of lino one year - lay nice damp heavy paper
down over the plate and run it through to emboss the snowflake - simple...
but nice...

You know a class could carve snowflake designs or winter scenes out of clay
(like the clay cookie/candy molds) - fire, and cast with paper pulp....
that's a longer process - best to save for a rainy/snowy day...

Ellen
> Who's got a good lesson with a winter theme? I teach k- 5th and am
> looking for
> projects each class-- I need student work dor for an art display in
> conjunction with our "winter wonder land" holiday program.
> TIA
> Susan

---