Re: Decreasing Arts Enrollment & theater

---------

From: Eric & Kris Holsen (holsenek_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 19:31:07 PST

Hi there,

I am amazed to hear that they are doing less work in theater! I teach art
and theater and my theater kids are working crazy all the time! Theater is
a huge world of activities - is your theater teacher doing all they
could?...

I sympathize with you on low achieving kids - I am fortunate enough to work
at a charter school for the arts now, so it's less of an issue in some ways.
However, in some ways our school has attracted and really helped some
formerly low-achieving students who are so happy to find a school less
focused on jocks and cheerleaders...

Our students seem to love specific art subjects like photo and stained glass
- just getting to do this stuff motivates them to show up. Sometimes just
being able to relax censorship (for turned in, not displayed) art loosens
them up. And Betty Edwards drawing stuff seems to reach them pretty well,
even the "non-students." It's a "keys to the kingdom" appeal, I suppose.

Our magic really is that our class sizes average around 15-17. So maybe low
enrollments of low-achievers would work out for you? But... a challenge!

Hang in there!

--Kris

---