Re: Decreasing Arts Enrollment-response

---------

From: LEO DAVINCE (ytsirk_uno_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 18:34:43 PST

Sid, I couldn't agreee with you more. That is exactly
the situation I think in most schools. I've been done
that road and seen all the different scenario. You
are right only a few students really will appreciate
and take art not because they have to or their friends
are taking it. As much as I hate to admit it, the
guidance councilors do have the upper hand when it
comes to putting students in courses and can make or
break the number of courses offered in a school. It
is a matter of survial of the fittest at times and
being on the good side of a guidance councilors always
helps. There are also times when guidance councilors
lack a certain amount of knowledge in what the Arts
are all about. One thing that should be emphasized to
students and councilors is that is many of todays
colleges, universities and employers are now looking
for people with qualities of flexibility, imagination,
creativity, cooperation , problem solvers, patience,
adaptability - everything that is not really taught
per se, but has been foundations of the Arts all
along. Thanks for sharing your ideas, we need to
continually look for ways to get our message across
even if not everyone is listening.
leave-artsednet-7600Y@lists.getty.edu