Re: sand in plaster

---------

From: Ricardo Ramirez (rramirez2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Dec 01 2002 - 21:24:43 PST

I believe you can mix glue along with the water and sand. I like the
idea about the hands in the sand for plaster sculptures! What
limitations do the students have for hand gestures? I am afraid at the
middle school level I may have someone throw a gang sign? I guess I
will have to preapprove the hand positions before the lesson.
I want to try this with my 6th grade rotation wheel and have them build
clay figurines(self-portraits) in their hands...maybe hanging on a
finger, or sitting in the palm. I thought the students could write a
paper about what they want to be when they grow up or maybe a small poem
or an "afterthought" engraved into the plaster mold (maybe at the base)
The students could even hotglue stuff like plastic flowers, etc on the
plaster. It could be mixed media....I really don't know right now but
you guys keep me thinking of better ways to improve my lessons! Can
anyone think of an artist that may have done something like this
before?
Also, can plaster be hardened to a ceramic-like state?
Has anyone had parents come in to the classroom and make a plaster mold
of his or her hand?

Thanks for the motivation!

Ricardo
>>> Nnaell@aol.com 11/28/02 09:30AM >>>
I am looking for a way to have my kinderkids make sandcastles. I tried
the
cornstarch/sand mixture several years ago. If the mixture had a lot of
water
in it, it was too wet to form (yet dried like cement!) if it was too
dry, it
crumbled!

I will try the plaster/sand mixture. I thought about doing wax molds
with
sand...but I don't think I will get the results I am looking for.

---
leave-artsednet-7600Y@lists.getty.edu
---