RE: plastic box

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Deb Sterner (dsterner)
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 00:38:24 -0400

I have always used an old fashioned tackle box or tool box. The size is
great for brushes and the compartments are great for other stuff: pencils,
erasers, drawing stuff...you get the idea!

If she wants to "make" her own, Plexiglas is okay and with the help of a
hobby tool (the dremel) she can drill holes for hinges and attaching
hardware to construct a box of her own design. This may take some careful
planning, but with interest on her part and the tools to do the job, it's
all do-able!

My special ed. boys love working with tools! I teach value using wood
burners and the crisis counselors just quiver at the notion, but there are
no interventions...just a few "incident reports" from a slip here and there.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-artsednet.edu
[owner-artsednet.edu]On Behalf Of
Karlawald
Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 1999 12:07 AM
To: artsednet.edu
Subject: plastic box

One of my students wants to make a plastic box for her art tools. I told her
yall might have some ideas. She could purchase a sheet of Plexiglas-type
material, and we could cut it to the right size and shapes for the sides and
lid, but how could she join the sides? With an adhesive? Some kind of tape?
suppose hinges could be used for opening the lid?

Also, she will be making it look like stained glass. Perhaps using silver or
gold car pin-striping tape for the inside leading, and colored plastic
sheets. Any other ideas for that kind of effect? Perhaps paints that work
very well on Plexiglas and give a transparent look?

Thanks much,
Karla in Arkansas