Re: centers

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Teri S. Mason (terily)
Wed, 01 Sep 1999 10:58:08 -0500

Deb,
It was easier than I thought it would be. We did them as the covers for our
sketchbooks, so we didn't go hot & heavy into the history, etc. We briefly
discussed their origins & the traditional techniques. I had two centers set up
along the counter, each with an electric skillet and 3 glass plates (which had
the edges taped for safety). The wax was melted in General Foods Coffee cans
(the rectangular ones), two cans per skillet, which had about an inch or so of
water (double boiler method). The students used old (VERY OLD) paint brushes to
put their designs on the pre-washed & dried & cut to size muslin (which was
wrapped book-cover style around the glass, as we were making book covers and the
size was right). I demonstrated to use a VERY QUICK motion of dip, wipe (on the
side of the can, to save wax) and draw ONE stroke, then dip again. I stressed
that the hottest wax will penetrate the fabric and that wax is at the Bottom of
the can; thus, they needed to be FAST and to leave their brushes at the bottom
as much as possible.
When the wax had cooled, they gently crackled it (this area needed some work)
and took it to the dye station. I had Rit liquid dye diluted in spray bottles
(those mister bottles from Wal-Mart). The bottle color corresponded to the dye
color. they just sprayed the dye on the fabric however they wanted (yes, we did
get some *lovely* browns!!), then rinsed in the sink and wrung out before
hanging along the ledge above the sink. You could use one of those wooden
clothes drying racks, or a clothesline. Anyway, I did the ironing to get the
wax out. I did this after school each day, so that I could keep up with the
classes. Just iron between two sheets of newspaper; when the wax fills the
paper, change both top & bottom sheets & repeat. The fabric will sometimes be
alittle stiff from the last remaining wax; I don't worry about that too much.
While this was going on, anyone not waxing or dying was working on sewing the
pages for their sketchbook. It actually went really smoothly; all 25 kids in
each class got their waxing/dyeing done in the 45 min class, plus we cleaned up
fine.

Hope this helps!
teri