Re: Center ideas (long post)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
menichino (menichino)
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 10:34:13 -0400

Hi Carolyn -- I love your centers ideas. Where do you physically put them
in the room? I'd love to have centers but I'm concerned about space....
Liz in rural NY (what glorious weather for the last day of vacation!! Wish
I hadn't put off doing work so I could be out enjoying it...)

----------
> From: CPKinomi
> To: Mrsbeeswax
> Cc: artsednet.edu
> Subject: Center ideas (long post)
> Date: Tuesday, August 31, 1999 8:39 AM
>
> Hi Chris,
> I have had centers in both of my art rooms (I teach in 2 schools) for 6
> years.
> Students are allowed to work at a center upon completion of the assigned
art
> lesson for the day. This works great for the early finishers, although I
run
> into the problem of some students who rush through their work in order to

> work at a center.
> The centers I have set up in my room are:
>
> Drawing Center- a variety of drawing materials (colored pencils, oil
pastels,
> markers, etc.) including "How to draw" books.
>
> Painting Center-this table is setup everyday for painting (newspapers,
water
> cans, tempera in egg cartons, watercolors and brushes). Students must
refill
> cans w/ fresh water for the next class and replace wet newspaper.
>
> Junk Sculpture Center-the most popular center. Students can build
sculptures
> using recycled boxes (cereal, crackers,etc.), cardboard tubes and
anything
> else that happens to come into the art room. I send out a wish list at
the
> beginning of the year and gets lots of "junk" this way. Some students
will
> work on a project for a month and will visit the paint center to add
color to
> their creation.
>
> Clay Center-set up with Crayola modeling clay and garlic presses.
Students