RE: ceramics

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Deb Sterner (dsterner)
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 10:16:00 -0400

My learning and behavioral disorder population will FLIP doing the rice
trick! That is a perfect plan for them.

I am still experimenting with the porcelain leaf pressing. I can get it
really thin and I am drying them between sheets of drywall. I won't check
on them till tomorrow. I still have a week to get this right. I fire the
porcelain with whatever cone I have ...5 for now. I understand it is
supposed to be to cone 9, but a few of the things I did came out nice and
hard. I plan to use a watercolor wash on the leaves to represent the
changing colors in the Fall. I'm sure a ceramic spray will seal the colors.
I hope to turn these into mobiles, at least one for myself. There's a
little voice that reminds me of the sound of breaking glass though :)

Someone on this list suggested I combine the porcelain clay with my other
clay...I did that over the summer and found that it changed the chemical
balance it would NOT take a glaze fire. We did use acrylic paints though
and a sealer.

Thanks everyone for all your help!
You can see some of the stuff that goes on in my art room at:
http://www.geocities.com/athens/oracle/1594

-=deb=-
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-artsednet.edu
[owner-artsednet.edu]On Behalf Of L.P. Skeen
Sent: Sunday, August 29, 1999 10:04 AM
To: GETTY
Subject: Re: ceramics

kprs wrote:

> You CAN make small ceramic pins, pendants, beads, and buttons with
> porcelain, and if adventuresome use oxides to color it.

You're right, BUT you have to consider that your garden-variety kid won't be
much interested in these items. They wanna make POTS!!!!! even when they're
handbuilding.

--
Lisa Skeen          ICQ#15554910    http://www.living-tree.net
Living Tree Pottery & Soaps,  Summerfield, NC