Re: Best Practice

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
wduncan (wduncan)
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 19:42:51 -0500

My own best practices list.
Woody in KC

Best Practices for the Teaching of the Visual Arts
Students experience success through the visual arts
- when they are provided with quality materials and opportunities to
express themselves creatively using a visual language
- when they are provided with a stimulating visual environment in
which to create (the art classroom/studio)
- when they are exposed to a range of exemplary art work
(both historical and contemporary) to view and discuss
- when they understand and use art vocabulary to guide their creative
expressions in both two and three-dimensions
- when they are motivated to express their passion through art
produced with their own hands
- when what they create is seen as having value and they are able to
learn a good deal about it from direct experience
- when they understand the purpose of their creations and are proud
to display it for others to see
- when they are recognized for thief efforts and accomplishments
by displays and exhibitions of their work
- when they see that failure is a part of the learning process and
that the “process” of creating is as important as the product
- when they are willing to critique their own work in a positive way
and be accepting of positive criticism from others
- when they can develop preliminary idea sketches without being
concerned about its crude temporary appearance
- when they can develop graphic organizers and other visual maps
to help organize their thoughts
- when then they receive feedback about their art during the process
and not just upon completion
- when teachers can offer constructive critiques without threatening
a students self-esteem
- when students have access to a portfolio of their art work and they
are asked to reflect on how it has developed over time
- when students are encouraged to maintain a journal of sketches,
thoughts, ideas, art and research on artists

Rick wrote:

> Does anyone know where I would get info on Best Practices relating to
> Art Ed. also is anyone out there using Total Quality Management or
> Baldridge in the art room.???Please letmeknow. Thanks, Betsy

This E-mail message is from Artist/Teacher Woody Duncan Rosedale Middle School in Kansas City, Kansas the new URL for school is to see my beautiful grandkids Tim, Tess and Tiff click on to see my students working in the RMSartSTUDIO click on to contact me via E-mail click on wduncan better yet visit my Web Site at