Re: Best Practice

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
wduncan (wduncan)
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 19:42:51 -0500

Rick,
My own best practices list.
Woody in KC

Best Practices for the Teaching of the Visual Arts
Students experience success through the visual arts
- when they are provided with quality materials and opportunities to
express themselves creatively using a visual language
- when they are provided with a stimulating visual environment in
which to create (the art classroom/studio)
- when they are exposed to a range of exemplary art work
(both historical and contemporary) to view and discuss
- when they understand and use art vocabulary to guide their creative
expressions in both two and three-dimensions
- when they are motivated to express their passion through art
produced with their own hands
- when what they create is seen as having value and they are able to
learn a good deal about it from direct experience
- when they understand the purpose of their creations and are proud
to display it for others to see
- when they are recognized for thief efforts and accomplishments
by displays and exhibitions of their work
- when they see that failure is a part of the learning process and
that the “process” of creating is as important as the product
- when they are willing to critique their own work in a positive way
and be accepting of positive criticism from others
- when they can develop preliminary idea sketches without being
concerned about its crude temporary appearance
- when they can develop graphic organizers and other visual maps
to help organize their thoughts
- when then they receive feedback about their art during the process
and not just upon completion
- when teachers can offer constructive critiques without threatening
a students self-esteem
- when students have access to a portfolio of their art work and they
are asked to reflect on how it has developed over time
- when students are encouraged to maintain a journal of sketches,
thoughts, ideas, art and research on artists

--

This E-mail message is from Artist/Teacher Woody Duncan Rosedale Middle School in Kansas City, Kansas the new URL for school is http://kancrn.kckps.k12.ks.us/user04 to see my beautiful grandkids Tim, Tess and Tiff click on http://www.taospaint.com/NineMonths.html to see my students working in the RMSartSTUDIO click on http://kancrn.kckps.k12.ks.us/user04/art.self.htm to contact me via E-mail click on wduncan better yet visit my Web Site at http://www.taospaint.com