RE: gripe

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kimberly Anne Herbert (kimberly)
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 09:13:14 -0500

This might sound strange, but check with any local environmental groups and
see if they know of anyone refurbishing computers. The San Angelo Friends
of the Environment runs our local recycling center. They have a couple of
computer "Junkies" (their term not mine). They take computers from anyone
upgrading. Some are fairly new, and just need a little work. Others are torn
apart for parts and used to make computers to meet the needs of users.
Teachers and students get all the "new" computers. SAFE especially targets
disadvantaged students, teachers in neglected fields to receive their
computers.
Kimberly Herbert
CAM Administrator

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-artsednet.edu
[owner-artsednet.edu] On Behalf Of Lawrence A.
Parker/OCCTI
Sent: Friday, August 27, 1999 7:52 AM
To: GETTY; LMiller435
Subject: Re: gripe

Leslie,

> I was given three computers, last year. For the art room.

Two thoughts:

1) Have you, personally (looks like this may be the only way you'll get your
computer), tried to approach a local business for a donation? For example,
there are always companies which are 'upgrading' their systems. Many times
it's easier to throw the old and buy a new one. Fine, ask them to donate it
instead, and remind them that it is a tax deductible donation!

2) If you have a mish-mash of pieces parts, see if you can find a local
hacker (a lot of 12-13 year olds can do this now) who can take them and make
them into a working system.

Also, while I'm think of it, although it's a little off the track of this
note, I have a friend in Cleveland who came into an interesting possession.

Have any of you seen the movie "Big", staring Tom Hanks? If you have, you
surely noticed the large piano keyboard he dances/plays on in a store's toy
department. Well, my friend now owns half of that keyboard and would like
to sell it to an interested school. I think he was looking for about
$1,000. If any of you are interested, I can put you in touch with him.

Larry