RE: 1st Year Teaching

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kimberly Anne Herbert (kimberly)
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 10:55:22 -0500

The first thing I would tell you is that the younger kids DO NOT like messy
hands. Many have out grown this by Kinder. but some kids will fuss the
entire time. I put rags out during Summer For Kids for this age group.
Summer for Kids is a different situation than teaching in a school but my
two best sources are MaryAnn's Preschool Art ISBN 0-87659-168-3 and Art for
the Very Young by Elizabeth Kelly & Joanne McConville ISBN 1-56822-668-3.
Also for our 3.5-5 years classes I always make sure the activities that use
scissors can also be torn, for the kids not ready for scissors (or their
parents do it for them).

Clean up time - Procedures are very important. At the beginning of the
summer, it was very difficult to have the kids clean up. I started out with
one chore for the kids, then did the rest. I added chores each week. By the
end of our summer program most of the PK's were able to clean up their space
and equipment, with strict supervision at the sink.

Kimberly Herbert
CAM Administrator

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-artsednet.edu
[owner-artsednet.edu] On Behalf Of Ashley Purser
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 1999 8:21 AM
To: brownyr.edu
Cc: artsednet.edu; artsednet-digest.edu
Subject: 1st Year Teaching

This is my first year teaching in the lower school (K-3). I have worked
in depth with 1st through 3rd grade through thematic approaches, but not
as much with Kindergarten and Pre-First. I have done research on four and
five year olds, but know it will be much different when I actually work
with them. If anyone has curriculum ideas, resources I could use, or
lesson ideas I would greatly appreciate it!