Re: Fossils...

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Lawrence A. Parker/OCCTI (occti)
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 10:11:40 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Litesal <litesal>
To: Lawrence A. Parker/OCCTI <occti>
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 1999 9:36 AM
Subject: Re: Fossils...

Actually, you most likely run into them every day; but different people have
different 'fossils' they don't want to see. Think of the person who uses
artificial 'enhancements' to retain the appearance of youth, or the person
who maintains that other races are genetically inferior in the face of
overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Have you ever taken a class which had very little (traditional) structure?
Perhaps only a rough syllabus, no 'objective' tests but only a written
paper, perhaps on a topic the student chooses? No 'homework' assignments,
but materials listed which could be used as needed by each student?

Such a course really freaks out some students - they need the structure.
Likewise, we have each developed, even if this consists only of adopting
from others, in whole or in part, a worldview and in this worldview is
embedded a personalview. The worldview is my understanding of how the world
works, the laws (scientific and/or religious) and principles (of ethics and
morality) which bind it together and make it work in such a way that it
makes sense to me. My view of who and what I am is supported by and
embedded in this worldview; it is justified by this worldview. Likewise,
for some to many of us, our worldview is constructed in part by what we
experience in the construction of our personalview.

So, to the point - when the precepts which form the basis for our worldview
are challenged or, more dramatically, proven to be false, we are threatened
at the most basic level of our psyche. This challenge or knowledge of
falsity shakes the very foundations of who we believe ourselves to be and
what we understand the world to be and how it operates.

Some people are so...insecure?...that they will deny obvious evidence to the
contrary of what they believe. I knew a man years ago who would not even
discuss the possibility of UFO's because alien life would completely
contradict his world and personal views.

This is the rut we cannot get our children into. The world is too vast,
composed of too many dissimilar yet interrelated and integrated parts, and
too constantly changing to be held in one rigid view.

The application of all this to Art Education, I think, is obvious.

Just out of curiosity, have any of you ever read Ayn Rand's _Fountainhead_?
It deals with several forms of art, but particularly architecture. If you
haven't, I highly recommend it.

Larry