Re: team-building games

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
June P. McLeavey (emmanoah)
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 07:20:00 -0400

Does anyone out there have any great art-related team-building or
cooperative games activities? Our Unified Arts Team spends the first two
days of school working with all students K-8 on these activities and I
would like to do one or two specific to visual art. Thanks in advance for
any ideas. Here's to a new year filled with amazing art adventures!

----------
> [...]

> started putting any and every article on the benefits of art education in
> everybody's mail boxes. Then after a few days, I'd ask my principal if
he'd
> read it. (Or them) Finally, After a year or so, he started coming
around
> and giving me more support, both with my budget ('pitiful') and as a
> mediator on the scheduling with the teachers.. I knew they didn't really
> all get it, but the only way they would understand is by seeing the
results
> of our efforts. I would ask them what they were studying in their
classroom
> and reinforce it with projects from art class. Yes, I did feel like I was
> not being true to what I felt we should be doing- making art for art's
sake-
> but I am doing that more and more. It made my working situation much more
> bearable. This is where being on a cart was a blessing. I loved it when
> they would work in their rooms, because I felt that this was my chance to
> teach them as well, indirectly. We did everything that my lousey budget
> would allow-mess included. Anyway, this is too long- sorry. Make
yourself
> indispensable- I truly feel that others perception of who we are is a
mirror
> we can use to ask ourselves what am I projecting.? Hang in there, you
can
> educate all of them.
> betsy
>
> L.P. Skeen wrote:
>
> > Can I vent here for just a minute? <sigh>
> >
> > I think I've said here before that I"m the art teacher in a new charter
> > school in Winston Salem, NC. We haven't opened yet; don't until
> > Wednesday, and we've JUSt been able to get in our building this past
> > weekend.
> >
> > On Friday we're all waiting and waiting for stuff to arrive, and of
> > course it didn't, but that's actually NOT my gripe. My gripe is the
> > other teachers.
> >
> > At lunch time, I'm in the principal's car w/ 2 other teachers and I
make
> > the comment, "Boy I hope our stuff gets here soon.". Nothing that
> > everyone else wasn't thinking about their own stuff, ya know? The
> > teacher in teh front seat turns around and says to me, "Well, I can
> > guarantee you that YOUR stuff will be the last to get here, because you
> > don't NEED books or anything, all you need to teach an art class is a
> > piece of paper and a pencil!". (Can you say "P!$$ED ME OFF!"!?!?!?)
> >
> > Next, today, we have a meeting, and the principal changes his mind and
> > says we're NOT having specials on opening day (it's a half-day), which
> > ruins all my planning for a month.
> >
> > THEN, the furniture truck got here, finally, and stuff is getting
> > delivered to rooms. I got a desk, a chair, book cases and a file
> > cabinet. Then the guy comes to take back my desk. Why, you ask?
Well,
> > it seems that the factory shorted us 2 desks, so since I'm so
> > unimportant, I don't NEED a desk; I can wait until next week to get
one.

> > Am I the only one who gets treated like this? NO, the music teacher
> > gets the same thing, but she's a mouse and won't speak up about it.
I'm
> > ready to quit and we haven't even STARTED yet.
> > GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
> > --
> > Lisa Skeen ICQ#15554910 http://www.living-tree.net
> > Living Tree Pottery & Soaps, Summerfield, NC
> > ~*~* A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.*~*~
> > @}~~~ Religions should get out of politics or be taxed.~~~{@
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 18:56:41 -0500
> From: wduncan <wduncan>
> Subject: Re: artsednet-digest V2 #1643
>
> Any ideas for room inspiration, ?
>
> A little bit of humor helps, I have an old toilet stool set up on one
counter
> with a split leaf philodendron growing out of it. I have a shrunken head
on
> display
> with a sign, "This student said NO to Mr. Duncan, October 23, 1996".
"The sad
> [...]
=
> the traditional art processes of composition and design.
>
> Where once, craftsmanship was a tradition handed down from =
> mother-to-daughter, and from father-to-son, and perfected throughout a =
> life time of trial and error, we now find an industry built, not around =
> craft, but around cheap watered-down versions that require neither =
> craftsmanship, nor previous knowledge to produce.
>
> Because of a lack of teacher training, what has replaced visual arts in =
> our public elementary schools is what many comedians often refer to as =
> artsy-craftsy basket weaving courses."
>
> More money and time has been spent on dead end projects than on any =
> other curriculum offerings - that continue to place the visual arts in a
=
> less than amiable position on the general curriculum roster. Perhaps, =
> school administrators themselves remember the visual arts as something =
> one did on a rainy day, and not the dynamic discipline that it is!
>
> Unfortunately, unless one declares a high school visual arts teaching =
> major, most public school teachers escape learning much about teaching, =
> drawing, painting, and construction skills. Most escape college classes =
> in music, drama, and dance, leaving themselves without a basic founding =
> in the visual and performing arts to share with their students.
>
> Most Americans come away from school with the notion that the arts are =
> only for the talented. This rationalization does not seem to inhibit =
> their interests in pursuing sports activities? No one questions the =
> necessity to learn the principles and elements of physical education. It
=
> is only when we rationalize our behavior in the arts that production =
> techniques are thrown to the wind in favor of quickly produce visual =
> gimmicks that tend to satisfy the embellishments fo social studies =
> projects, and home refrigerator doors.
>
> Every child introduced to reading, writing, and arithmetic is not =
> necessarily going to become a lecturer, author, or mathematician! But =
> what a child learns through these disciplines is transferable to many =
> distinct and different vocational and avocational pursuits. The same =
> holds true for the visual arts.
>
> To identify the visual arts as a time-honored tradition and basis for =
> non-verbal communications, would do much to clear the air, and could, in
=
> the next century, add credence to the proposition that human beings =
> function in a world of both verbal and non-verbal literacy. One has the =
> capacity to describe the other in unlike terms, but when joined =
> together, often have a capacity to create a synergy that exercises a =
> dynamic impact on the human psyche.=20
>

> - ------=_NextPart_000_002B_01BEEE58.C939E560

> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" =

size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=

p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=