Re: DANGERous

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
MPBC90
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 01:22:00 EDT

In a message dated 8/23/99 10:44:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-artsednet-digest.edu writes:

of a
teacher that does a positive / negative lesson where she has the kids spray a
1/2 bleach and 1/2 water solution on black t-shirts that have clear contact
paper designs stuck on the shirt. The results are fabulous and the kids
love
it. She hasn't any probs with the process from what I understand. I know we
are always( or should be) concerned about student safety, but there are risks
with many materials we use. I know of an incident where a kid jumped on a
table
with scissors and threatened his classmates. So do we not use scissors
anymore?

MaryB

Wizzlewolf wrote:

> Pablo,
> You do whatever. However, bleach is unnecessary. Why would you want to
> jeopardize student health for any reason. I know that my school district
has
> strict standards for chemical use with children. Yes, chorine is used in
> pools. However, pool chlorine is diluted with thousands of gallons of
water.
> Have you read the warning labels on bleach? You aren't suppose to inhale or
> have skin contact. I have seen the effects of illness due to art materials
> and related chemicals. It can be terrible. I just don't think this is a
> chance you need to take with kids. Especially when there is no real reason
> for its use. >>
Sorry if I offend anyone, but didn't someone freak out when the suggestion
was made (a good one, i thought) to sharpen BOTH ends of the drawing pencils
to decrease those lines at the sharpener? Too DANGERous, someone thought.
How much more dangerous is one more point?
Can you tell I am an avid "bleacher?"
MP