Re: Gene Poole

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 19:20:19 -0400

Stacey Bernstein wrote:

> Oh, and the artist Gene Pool with his grass car, suit, hat and shoes... he
> covered the car in epoxy, seed and then spent time caring for and growing
> the grass... he's one artist featured in a video called "Wild Wheels."
> This is an excellent documentary on art cars and the artists who are
> compelled to make them, I recommend it.
> -Stacey

Just a side-I went to college and was pretty good friends with Gene
Poole(Bill Harding was his real name then, in fact Wild Bill
Harding). This actually started with another friend of mine Dwight
Frizzel- who threw sod on his car during performance art. He was
already a graduate. A lot of performance art was around town and
school. Back then (1980) Performance was part of sculpture>they
weren't quite sure where to put it.Dwight had been in Photo and Bill
was in sculpture.(Boy times they keep a changing). I assume everyone
on this list could inform me as to whether performance art is it's
own now. Anyway we went to KCAI (Kansas City Art Institute) neither
one of them are on the alumni artist work gallery. Most of the
alumni make their living through their art> it would be nice to see
the schools which we paid so much money to attend, be supportive of
us!
P.S.-Bill if you are out there-Hello
and contact me!!! I think you are in LA. We all watch when you were
on Johnnie Carson (way back in '82 or '83) and gave him a grass
suit! I was amazed you could even talk! (especially since you were
kinda shy)It was great to see someone who had just graduated and if
the school never contacted you they did talk about it. If anyone
knows him fwd this please.

Sandra Barrick
astroboy