RE: Fire Hazards

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kimberly Anne Herbert (kimberly)
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 11:14:50 -0500

Betty,
Three suggestions. Could flame resistant fabric be used to cover the
bulletin boards? Added advantage is that it can be reused for several years.
We hang posters from the ceiling with small, sturdy, but decorative chains.
It looks better than string, and according to our Fire Marshall makes the
posters legal. We just have to make sure the chains don't interfere with the
sprinklers. The third thing we do is hang a "clothesline" string from the
top of the cabinets to a metal thing brace on a column back to the cabinets.
I use it to hang children's work, during field trips, but it could be used
to display also. Since nothing flammable is in contact with the ceiling, it
is legal. The fact we have sprinklers may be the reason these methods are
legal, so check with the Fire Marshall. I know here they are very helpful.
When I called because I didn't understand how close a table could be our
fire exit, the Fire Marshall came over did an inspection and showed us what
space needed to be clear for safety. Now they call us at the beginning of
school, and again in the summer to check if our fire evacuation plans have
change. This way they can find us if the Cactus ever caught on fire, and
know the museum was cleared.
Kimberly Herbert
CAM Administrator
San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts and Children's Art Museum

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-artsednet.edu
[owner-artsednet.edu] On Behalf Of Betty Bowen
Sent: Friday, August 20, 1999 3:58 PM
To: artsednet.edu
Subject: Re:Fire Hazards

A friend of mine who is a great 7th grade teacher told me Wednesday evening
that the local fire marshalls have laid down the law in the schools this
year. No more than one layer of flammable materials on bulletin boards (no
background paper) no Hanging Things on bulletin boards (therefore no moving
parts - she used to make really elaborate bulletin boards that had strings
to pull that made things move, that sort of thing)
No more than 50% of the wall space covered with paper or other flammable
material, including cloth, cardboard....no hanging flammables from the
ceiling. No dried leaves, tree branches, crepe paper streamers,...You get
the picture.
No one is disagreeing with the importance of fire safety, but it is sure
making room decoration and display a challenge.

I went blank except for colored aluminum foils and mylars.

Any other inexpensive non-flammable room decorating and bulletin board ideas
I can pass along? (sounds like another book project for MaryAnn, doesn't it?
non-flammable classroom decoration? : ))

Betty