Re: paper pulp... grass really

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Stacey Bernstein (staceyb)
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 06:23:47 -0700

At 12:45 AM -0400 8/23/99, Maahmaah wrote:
Much to my
>surprise as I unpacked my pulp "baseballs" i noticed a small forest growing.
>The previous class had added all sorts of seeds to the slurries. Some of the
>plants growing out of the pulp were a good 5" long. It was quite remarkable!
> (This could make a pretty cool tangent lesson off of papermaking!)
>
>-Lee

This reminds me of a hand made book show I saw while visiting the public
library in NY, NY quite a while back.

One of the books pages had been made with grass seeded paper, and
kept damp. The grass had grown, separated some pages, and then died. The
book on display contained the dried dead grasses, but there was
documentation of the growth of the book.

Oh, and the artist Gene Pool with his grass car, suit, hat and shoes... he
covered the car in epoxy, seed and then spent time caring for and growing
the grass... he's one artist featured in a video called "Wild Wheels."
This is an excellent documentary on art cars and the artists who are
compelled to make them, I recommend it.
OK...that's off the topic of paper....

-Stacey

* * * * *
http://www.staceyb.com
Artist & Art Educator
* * * * *
http://robin.river.com/staceyb
a site documenting some of my time and energy as an
Artist in Residence at New Vista High School in Boulder, Colorado.

* * * * *
"A work of art is above all an adventure of mind."
- Eugene Ionesco (1912 - 1994)

* * * * *