Re: paper pulp

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
marianna Delafield (mdelafield@cfu-cybernet.net)
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 15:19:53 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Lawrence A. Parker/OCCTI <occti>
To: gregjuli <gregjuli>; artsednet
<artsednet.edu>
Date: Saturday, August 21, 1999 12:27 PM
Subject: Re: paper pulp

>MaryB
>
>Luck you, I used to work quality control in a paper mill (I know; amazing
>isn't it? But, no, there's very little philosophy to be found in a paper
>mill...!)
>
>> If I make larger quantities, how long can I keep the stuff before it
>> gets moldy or something. Can you add some bleach to it?
>
>So long as it's properly dried, and especially if you add bleach (yes,
>bleach is often added to it, though most often for uniform 'whiteness'),
you
>ought to be able to keep it for quite a long time.
>
>> does anyone have some shortcuts to making a lot of pulp for a few
classes?

>Blenders was about my only suggestion, assuming that you can't get your
>hands on a Banbury. Have you tried checking for any local companies from
>which you might be able to purchase some pulp? Of course, this cuts out
the
>kids experience in making pulp from *different kinds* of paper which is
also
>very worthwhile. But I appreciate that this is an art class and not
>industrial arts.
>
>Larry

I assume you are pre-soaking the paper. I have been able to get shredded
paper (most of it computer paper) and this cuts down the soaking time.
Remember to warn the kids about "overload" in the blenders or you'll have
smoking burn out. It not only wrecks the blenders, it stinks. Be sure to
locate the circut breaker in advance so that if you blow a fuse, you're
prepared to switch it back on. Have fun!!!
Marianna