fugitive colors

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Stacey Bernstein (staceyb)
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 13:46:34 -0700

As stated, the colors from color laser, bubble jet, Iris printers, etc. are
fugitive and do fade, but if you frame (even with a uni-frame and foamcore
backing) the image, use UV protective glass.

My pieces and my husbands pieces that have this type of glass on it have
lasted wel,l and it's been about four years now since we framed the work.
The pieces that I uni-framed have faded around the edges, but the majority
of the images are bright and true.
So, until the quality of the dyes change, that or storage in a dark
portfolio are your best bets for keping color quality.

-Stacey B.

At 10:59 PM -0500 8/21/99, wduncan wrote:
>I have just begun to print photos scanned in and printed out
>on an ink jet printer. I'm impressed with the quality, especially
>at 720 dpi on photo quality paper. But I was curious about how
>fugitive the colors were, and I didn't consider that they would be
>soluble in water. I too would like to know about the permanence of
>these ink jet images. If you have good information on this topic,
>please post it. Thanks, Woody in KC
>
>Diane Balsley wrote:
>
>> Would like any info regarding printing images from a digital camera. I have
>> printed images using an ink jet but this is not permanent (or water
>> resistant). Does any one have suggestions for printing permanent images?

* * * * *
http://www.staceyb.com
Artist & Art Educator
* * * * *
http://robin.river.com/staceyb
a site documenting some of my time and energy as an
Artist in Residence at New Vista High School in Boulder, Colorado.

* * * * *
"A work of art is above all an adventure of mind."
- Eugene Ionesco (1912 - 1994)

* * * * *

  • Reply: Wizzlewolf: "Re: fugitive colors"