Re: curriculum

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
wduncan (wduncan)
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 05:40:08 -0500

Hey there neighbor, I've been struggling with the same thing as you noted.
I don't teach using a time line, but I think it's a great idea. I used to use
the same artists
of the week, though, with all my classes. For reinforcement I liked to leave
the exemplars
up on display, in the order presented, along the top edge of the room. I'd
take them down at
the end of the semester, after having a (review) test over them at the end of
each quarter.
I had at least a three year rotation of artists (don't see how that would work
with a time line)
so I didn't repeat an exemplar while any certain child was in the school. Some
students take
an art class every year. Much of the reasoning for what I do is for my sanity.
How much do I have time to organize well. How much display space do I have. I
don't have time or space to do the ideal, and I do
have a life, I think, outside of school. Now with the nine week classes, I
have 3 different rotations going.
The 8 exemplars I want to present to the 6th grade. Next the 8 exemplars I
want to present to the 7th grade.
Those two sets get presented and stapled up 4 time during the year. Once I've
developed lessons around them
for the first quarter, I've already got them done for the next three quarters.
That leaves the other 7th and 8th grade students in my 3 different elective
classes. Although the problems/projects they work on are different from each
other, my artists of the week for them are the same. I have no set rotation.
I present worthwhile artists to study. And I don't reuse an artist for at
least 2 years when all my students should be gone on to high school. I find
space around the tack strip for three sets of exemplars and related lists of
words. 8+8+8=24
around the room. They know which set belongs to their class. What you need to
do is come up with,
and juggle, what the kids need, what you have space for and what you can cope
with. It's got to work for you
or you can't do an effective job of teaching. Let me know what you end up
doing. nothing is permanent, everything is in flux. You are welcome to visit
our school if you wish. Stay sane so you can teach.
Woody, next door in KC

--

This E-mail message is from Artist/Teacher Woody Duncan Rosedale Middle School in Kansas City, Kansas the new URL for school is http://kancrn.kckps.k12.ks.us/user04 to see my beautiful grandkids Tim, Tess and Tiff click on http://www.taospaint.com/NineMonths.html to see my students working in the RMSartSTUDIO click on http://kancrn.kckps.k12.ks.us/user04/art.self.htm to contact me via E-mail click on wduncan better yet visit my Web Site at http://www.taospaint.com