Re: seating charts

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
wduncan (wduncan)
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 05:31:54 -0500

Charlotte,
I've never found a really good web site for Maria Martinez, but she is
the matriarch of native-american potters. She is best known for her
famous black on black pottery which she made in collaboration with her
husband Julian. Better known than perhaps Lucy Lewis of Acoma, Maria is
from San Ildefonso Pueblo. Check your local library for a book on her
written by Susan Peterson. I just purchased another book by her on women
potters, it's a real treasure. the URL is for amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0789203537/qid%3D932340727/sr%3D1-1/002-6669720-4938401

I was lucky to take a pottery workshop from Maria's great-granddaughter
Barabara Gonzales a few years back.
If any body out there has a good site on Maria Martinez, let me know, I'd
like to list it for my students.
The best place to see her work is the Millicent Rogers Museum in Taos,
New Mexico.
http://millicentrogers.org/newmexico.html
But I bet the Southwest Museum in Pasadena has many of her pieces.
Good luck on starting school, Woody in KC

--

This E-mail message is from Artist/Teacher Woody Duncan Rosedale Middle School in Kansas City, Kansas the new URL for school is http://kancrn.kckps.k12.ks.us/user04 to see my beautiful grandkids Tim, Tess and Tiff click on http://www.taospaint.com/NineMonths.html to see my students working in the RMSartSTUDIO click on http://kancrn.kckps.k12.ks.us/user04/art.self.htm to contact me via E-mail click on wduncan better yet visit my Web Site at http://www.taospaint.com