Re: seating charts

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
wduncan (wduncan)
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 05:31:54 -0500

I've never found a really good web site for Maria Martinez, but she is
the matriarch of native-american potters. She is best known for her
famous black on black pottery which she made in collaboration with her
husband Julian. Better known than perhaps Lucy Lewis of Acoma, Maria is
from San Ildefonso Pueblo. Check your local library for a book on her
written by Susan Peterson. I just purchased another book by her on women
potters, it's a real treasure. the URL is for

I was lucky to take a pottery workshop from Maria's great-granddaughter
Barabara Gonzales a few years back.
If any body out there has a good site on Maria Martinez, let me know, I'd
like to list it for my students.
The best place to see her work is the Millicent Rogers Museum in Taos,
New Mexico.
But I bet the Southwest Museum in Pasadena has many of her pieces.
Good luck on starting school, Woody in KC

Charlotte Griswold wrote:

> Woody, I love your idea, but I am unfamiliar with Maria Martinez...can
> you give me a good site?
> I really have been following all your has been very
> useful...and entertaining.
> --
> Charlotte Griswold
> OakHill Middle School
> ClearLake CA. 95457
> griswald

This E-mail message is from Artist/Teacher Woody Duncan Rosedale Middle School in Kansas City, Kansas the new URL for school is to see my beautiful grandkids Tim, Tess and Tiff click on to see my students working in the RMSartSTUDIO click on to contact me via E-mail click on wduncan better yet visit my Web Site at